Potato and Cabbage Sausage Soup (GF)
“Mom, I never thought I would love cabbage this much!” - Lukas Mork, son
- 1 pound ground sausage — feel free to use any flavor you like — to keep Gluten Free, make sure the sausage is
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium leeks — sliced into ⅛ inch rounds — only use white and pale green parts
- 2 medium carrots — smaller cuts the better
- 1 stalk celery — diced
- 1 small green cabbage — chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic — minced (fresh is the best, but jarred will do just as good)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock — bullion cubes also work if no stock available at home
- 1 pound potatoes — diced (any kind works)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste — we typically use the pink Himalayan salt
- Add sausage to preferably a larger pot. Cook until brown and done. Drain grease and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, leeks, carrots and celery to the pan. Best to keep any bits from the sausage in the pan too while cooking this. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the cabbage and garlic. Sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, potatoes, Italian seasoning, cooked sausage, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. This can go longer pending how the potatoes are cooked.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed. This step you can add more Italian seasonings pending how flavorful the sausage is.
- Serve warm. Will last 2 to 3 days refrigerated in a sealed container. We also have froze this soup and will last 2 to 3 months.