Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes.
- At the same time, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth, about 5 minutes. Pour in milk slowly, while stirring continuously. Continue to cook and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 5 minutes, making sure the milk doesn't burn.
- Add Cheddar cheese and stir until melted, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Drain macaroni and fold into cheese sauce until coated.
- You can never have enough cheese, and I usually add an extra 1/2 cup without ruining the recipe.
- Keep a careful eye on the milk when boiling, as milk boils fast and burns easily. Burnt milk will show up in the recipe's flavor if overcooked.