Homemade Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Day old cornbread
- 3 pieces of toast
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup bell peppers (green or red) diced
- 1 cooked chicken breast or thigh,shredded
- 3-4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- Poultry seasoning, sage, black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Break up the cornbread and toss in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute onions, celery and bell peppers in a little bit of butter until tender.
- Add the sauteed veggies and the cooked shredded chicken into the cornbread mixture.
- Stir together to combine.
- Add in the broth a little at a time. Add in just enough to make it thick and a little soupy.
- Stir in a teaspoon of poultry seasoning, sage and black pepper. Start with a teaspoon of each and add more to suit taste.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Pour into a buttered 9 x 13" casserole pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set.
Be sure to taste it before adding in the eggs and adjust the seasonings if needed. It's best to use cornbread that is a few days old since it's not as moist. Dry cornbread makes the best dressing!