What Do I Do Now?
While you may not be able to add or edit your existing Expanded Search Ads, they’ll still be served in search results, you’ll still receive reporting on ad performance, and you’re still able to pause, resume or delete them. However, Google has encouraged advertisers to mix in Responsive Search Ads for a while now, so it’s only a matter of time until Expanded Text Ads go the way of the dinosaur. The best advice we can give is to just rip off the bandage and jump into Responsive Search Ads (check out this Google article on how to set up RSAs).
Here are a few more pointers that will help you make the most of this shift:
- Try to use all available headline and description fields (15 headlines + 4 descriptions)
- Write concise, eye-catching copy – but keep each headline and description distinctive enough that they won’t be repetitive when paired together
- Include calls to action, unique features or benefits and at least 3 high volume keywords in your headline copy sets
- Be selective about which headlines and descriptions you pin
- Google is always changing, so don’t be afraid to call in the pros [insert shameless plug here] when you need advice, direction or just another set of eyes on your campaigns