As seen in THE BEAT, December 2019. Subscribe here.
If you answered, “YES,” there’s a really good chance your reasons are more common than you realize. The most common reasons marketers claim social media is missing from their mix:
- We don’t have anything worthwhile to share on social media
- There’s no time/resources/experience on staff to handle it right
- We don’t have budget to advertise on social media
- Our execs don’t “get” social media
- or our company isn’t tech savvy
- or our customers and prospects aren’t on social media
- We tried it but it didn’t work
- The social community for our industry/products is small
If one or more of these reasons fit your situation, we’ve got some great advice to share with you.
First, don’t think of social media marketing as a one size fits all or all or nothing proposition. Rather, think about your organization’s values. How do they fit with those of the social media channel? Be selective. Select only the social platform(s) that support your business objectives. You absolutely do not have to be ever-present everywhere.